What is a Doula?
A Doula is an experienced childbirth professional who provides one-on-one training and support to prepare an expectant woman or couple for their upcoming birth experience. The word Doula originates from the Greek term for “servant,” which is fitting as a Doula is often referred to as a labor assistant. Doulas typically offer pre-labor consultation, guide the woman or couple through the natural childbirth process, and conclude with a follow-up visit post-partum.
My Doula support services provide:
- Unlimited access to my physical and emotional support during the pregnancy, birth and beyond
- An understanding of the birth process for those who haven’t taken a childbirth class or who need a refresher
- Insight into birth options and relaxation techniques to be used during labor
- Education about the natural childbirth process to help ease fears and concerns
- Greater confidence in your ability to achieve a natural childbirth
- A sense of empowerment and accomplishment
Research has shown that the use of a Doula can result in:
- 50% decrease in cesarean sections
- 25% decrease in the length of labor
- 40% decrease in the use of oxytocin
- 60% decrease in the use of epidurals
- 30% decrease in the use of forceps
- Improved mother-child interaction
- Decreased chance or severity of post-partum depression
- Improved success of breastfeeding
Statistics from: Mothering the Mother by M. Klaus, J. Kennell, and P. Klaus. Addison Wesley Publishing, 1993
My sense of compassion and sincere passion about my work, along with my dedication to meeting the unique needs of each client, combine to ensure that my clients have the best possible service. This is your opportunity to have a positive and empowering experience, and I’ll do whatever it takes to help you reach that goal.
Each Doula package, which includes 1-3 prenatal visits as necessary, continuous support throughout the entire labor and birth, 1 to 2 hours of support after the baby is born, and 1 postpartum visit to your house, is available for $1,200. Special rates apply if combined with other services including, The Empowered Birth Method™ , Empowered Birth Coaching and/or Mama Coaching services. Personalized care is given, including but not limited to: assistance with a customized birth plan, relaxation and visualization techniques, massage, labor and birth positions, nutrition & exercise, life coaching, encouragement, and 24 hour phone and email assistance with questions and other matters.